Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Modular Synthesizer Patch Demo #1

I started this blog to challenge myself to write about what interested me in Synthesis and explore some of the instruments I have. Along the way I've added many demo videos and tracks to help me clarify my artistic process and how I work. Some of these have served the dual purpose of also showing the tools themselves.

I'm thrilled to have the readers I do and recently received some positive feedback on my "process" demos. This has inspired me to start a new series called "Modular Synthesizer Patching". For some this may initially seem too basic but hang in, they will get more interesting. For beginners or those not entirely familiar with Modular Synthesizers hopefully they will demystify some of the geek speak you always hear me spouting on the blog and give a more basic approach to what these instruments can do. When possible I will try to include some examples of my creative process as well to wrap things up so it's not all shop talk. Let me know what you'd like to see, ideas, suggestions, etc. and I'll do my best to use your feedback as the series progresses.

Here is the first installment. I start from a "blank slate" with no sound or patching and build to a simple one oscillator patch with two different audio paths with some basic modulation, filtering, etc. At the end I show how this might start to turn into "music" :)

 Watch on :)

 

No comments: